Thursday, December 01, 2005

My Fireplace

This is my fireplace insert. I'm trying to figure out if it's designed for wood or coal. I was able to find the patent for the back lining, but Googling "The Buckeye" name proved fruitless.

The opening is 20" wide by about 29" high at the front.


I found the patent by searching by date at the U.S. Patent Office. Because the patent was dated before 1976, it was necessary to search each document image. I first narrowed down the date range, and then looked at every July 19, 1892 patent until I found the one I was looking for. Patents are issued on Tuesdays, and there were about 127 patents ahead of this one.

(photos refreshed 9/8/14)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can tell you that your fireplace was used for coal. I have the same type (different manufacturer) of fireplace in my home in Ontario, Canada, and my house was built around 1915/1916.

Your fireplace is lovely, by the way -- I'm in the process of 'rehabilitating' mine.

January 20, 2006  
Blogger Dave Kaiser said...

I have a "The Buckeye" fireplace insert in my 1890's era home in St. Louis, Missouri. I believe your bronze colored pieces around the perimeter and on the bottom section are probably not original. I have the complete set with matching black cast iron pieces all the way around, on the bottom, and a front faceplate that would close the entire opening. If you contact me I could send you pictures to add.

I'm also curious how you cleaned it without damaging it?

November 10, 2010  
Blogger Pheidias said...

Sorry, Dave K, I forgot I was moderating comments and neglected to click "publish".

I don't remember how I cleaned it, but if anything I probably used isopropyl alcohol. I may have spray painted it with barbecue black (don't hate me).

I would love to see your pictures, but don't know how to contact you, your profile is hidden.

I want to retrofit this to gas, but local fireplace shops refuse to have anything to do with it.

November 24, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this. I also have a buckeye insert. It was great to see the patent for it!

September 03, 2022  
Blogger Fearlessanalyst said...

I also have a Buckeye insert in our upstairs fireplace (above the living room FP which was professionally restored and works beautifully) -- in "Old Toronto" also -- which we're trying to decide if it's safe to use.

November 18, 2023  
Blogger Pheidias said...

It's nice to see this is still finding viewers. We sold this house in 2014! Poured much love, sweat, and tears into it, but ultimately it became difficult for one of us to navigate, so we moved to a single story house in a country town.

November 18, 2023  

Post a Comment

<< Home