Sunday, January 23, 2005

Refurbishing a Soapstone Sink

I had a three-basin soapstone sink in my 1912 basement, on a rusted-out stand. When I refurbished my laundry room, I puzzled long about what to do with with the sink. I hated the idea of replacing it with plastic, and it weighed 500 pounds (I borrowed a sling scale from work) so I did not relish the idea of hauling it out.


Ultimately I decided to rehabilitate it. The soapstone can be worked almost like wood, if you are willing to sacrifice some tool bits.


I cut off the old metal drains and removed all the remaining strainers. One of the basins was beyond repair, so I used a masonry blade in my circular saw to cut off one basin. I replaced the rusted tension rods underneath with stainless steel to hold the front panel to the back panel.

There was a broken-through spot on one of the remaining basin side walls, but gray plumber's epoxy is an acceptable color match. I cleaned the wound with a wire brush and alcohol, and filled it with epoxy, smoothing it before it set.

I scraped any spalling stone and sanded the surface, which did not really have as much beneficial effect as I hoped.

The big box home center did not have a deep enough drain, but one of the plumbing supply houses had one that would fit the 1-1/8" thick stone. I had to router the stone a little to get the flange to fit below the surface of the stone. I used the rubber gasket that came with the drain, but set it in grey silicone caulk.

Lastly, I built a simple flat-frame pressure-treated 2x4 stand, with diagonal bracing glued and screwed with polyurethane glue and 3" and 4" screws. I laid a 2x4 flat at the front and the back to support the front and back stone panels. By levelling the stand, this gave the sink a slight slope to the back for good drainage.

So it is indeed possible to rehabilitate these sinks, if you're crazy enough to try.

(photos refreshed 9/8/14)

14 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

That's a nice fireplace. Have you found out if it's a coal burning fireplace yet? Mine is actually closed from the previous owner, so I need to open it back up, but I am told that mine is a coal burning fireplace. You should join houseblogs.net. They have a bunch of people with blogs about their old homes. Well good luck. You can visit my blog at hanjin1.clearwire.net

December 16, 2005  
Blogger Pheidias said...

Thanks for the note - I don't check here often so have no idea how long ago you posted ...

Have not figured out the fireplace yet.

January 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job. I'm doing the same thing. Mine was held up with two metal legs, no attachements...only the pipes and wimpy legs holding it up. My soapstone sink had 2 basins, and was he-avy! I could only imagine yours.

I am trying to seal the joints, as it had a leak, and will sand it down. I plan to use some diamond pads, starting at 500 and working up to give it a shiny lustre...shouldn't take too long. The sink should last a few hundred years. Haha.

December 05, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job. I'm doing the same thing. Mine was held up with two metal legs, no attachements...only the pipes and wimpy legs holding it up. My soapstone sink had 2 basins, and was he-avy! I could only imagine yours.

I am trying to seal the joints, as it had a leak, and will sand it down. I plan to use some diamond pads, starting at 500 and working up to give it a shiny lustre...shouldn't take too long. The sink should last a few hundred years. Haha.

December 05, 2008  
Blogger Devadeva Mirel said...

gret sink!

November 09, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have same sink issue, drains rotted out. Plumber suggested a sledgehammer and a new plastic one. I'll use your router trick once I get it stripped down...thanks for the tip

February 16, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

April 29, 2012  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello,
I have refurbished an old double basin soapstone sink for my kitchen. Couple of questions though. What did you do to support the weight of this sink so it doesn't go through the floor. Also I would like a little more detail on the plumbing. Ours has no drain or plumbing so we will be starting from scratch. I really appreciate any information anyone could share. Thank you.

October 02, 2013  
Blogger Pheidias said...

I made the support frame out of pressure-treated 2x4, glued with polyurethane glue (Gorilla Glue) and screwed with long drywall screws.

The plumbing is shown and explained in another post at http://myhouserepair.blogspot.com/2006/01/soapstone-sink-drains.html

October 02, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Pheidias:
I have a 2 basin sink and no one seems to want to help me restore it. Can you suggest a faucet? My sink has the holes in the back of the sink for the faucet, but there is a brick wall behind the sink so a wall mount wld be difficult. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

November 09, 2013  
Blogger Pheidias said...

All I can suggest is go to a plumbing supply house - not HD or Lowes - and tell them what you want to do. That's where I found the deep drains.

November 09, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you rub oil over the soapstone? That will bring out the natural beauty of the soapstone more.

August 04, 2014  
Blogger Pheidias said...

This is a utility sink and shows it! Paint stains, chips, the works. It has the natural beauty of a lobsterman.

August 04, 2014  
Anonymous Jan said...

I admire your appreciation for such a gorgeous vintage appliance the hard work was worth it it looks fab!

January 11, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home